Friday 9 January 2009

Finally the end II

OK, so that wasn't really the end. I got distracted, by Chloe being in town, and then Christmas and all that. That was written a few weeks ago, and I am now determined to actually finish my blog. Really, this is getting ridiculous. I doubt anyone will even read this, but at least it will be done. Picking up on my last Wednesday, Dec 10: It was my last day at my internship and we went out for drinks (lemonade:) for my birthday and as a goodbye. My coworkers gave me a really cute purse and a bracelet, picked out by Toria, who was probably the person I connected with the most at work. I also got to do some more choosing of the actual images that will go in books. The evening brought more packing and I pretty much finished up my paper.

Thursday was the last day of classes, pretty much just filling out the evaluations. I always want to be harsher in evaluations, I actually thought the internship class was pretty stupid, but I can never seem to say what I want because I don't want to hurt the prof's feelings. The afternoon was for running some errands, getting another duffel to take back with me because I bought too much stuff, etc. Then Molly and Beth and I went to 221b Baker street to see the Sherlock Holmes Museum. Sherlock, or my Holmes as I call him :), is my newest literary crush, so it was fun poking around and taking pictures and shopping. For dinner that night we had the "Final Banquet" for the program, which was everybody together at a delicious Mediterranean restaurant. It was fun hanging out and laughing, and the food was really good, but it was really hard to say goodbye to my profs, especially Vinter. I really connected with her and I'm really sad that I won't get to see her again or take more classes from her. It was a great experience though, and my love for Shakespeare is certainly kindled, for which I thank her.

Friday was a very busy day of packing and cleaning and running around. After packing all morning, Molly and I walked ot Hyde park and then noodled around in the area of the church for a little while, although it was super cold. I also bought a bunch of chocolate for gifts, which added a lot of extra weight to my luggage. At that point I wasn't so much focused on the pain of leaving, but more the pain in the but that so much traveling was going to be. I was really looking forward to being home though; the last few weeks in London had stressed me out the point that my neck and shoulders were a solid mass of tense muscle.

Saturday I traveled for more than 24 hours by the time I finally got home. Beth was supposed to leave first at like 4 in the morning, but she slept through her alarm and had to take a taxi instead of her prearranged shuttle. Molly and I had planned to take the tube, but the strap on m duffle broke about half a block from the flat, and we had so much luggage that we didn't think that would work, so we ended up getting a taxi instead, which was a really good idea. It cost about $40, but it was totally worth it! The flights were good, I slept a bit and watched movies on the long one, and then Dad and Kathleen were there waiting for me in Chicago. It was so great to see them; I had been bouncing with excitement on the plane from Detroit. We left Chicago right away to try and avoid a storm, and got home around midnight. It was so great to finally be home and in my own bed, but I was so exhausted and jet lagged, I'm not sure I noticed.

And that was my London adventure. It was totally awesome, I loved living there and I had a great time. I'm sure I'll go back some day.

No comments: